Sunday, November 20, 2005

What is the difference between 깨치다 & 깨우치다?

Today I started to read "연극 이야기" on the Korean Lab Web site, but was stopped almost immediately by the word, 깨치다. I knew the general meaning of the word, but it was a word that, for some reason, had always bothered me, so I decided to chew on it for a while.

깨치다 means "to realize," "to perceive," or "to awaken to," which seems to make it a synonym of 깨닫다, though 깨닫다 seems to be used somewhat differently. I am not sure of the exact difference between the two words, but I think it may have something to do with the degree of force or strength of the words; that is, I think 깨치다 may be a stronger word then 깨닫다. I do not know what the 닫다 on 깨닫다 means, but I do know that "치다" is an ending that often gives force or strength to the words it attaches to. Here is a list of such words:

When you realize a truth on your own, Koreans say (내가) 진리를 깨치다. When someone helps you realize that truth, Koreans say (그는 나한테) 진리를 깨우치다.

3 comments:

  1. I have a question that has nothing to do with the post. While reading a story on the YTN website, I came across this Konglish word: 커플링. Does 커플링 mean 'sex'? Out of Korea for four years, I think I'm falling behind on the Konglish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 커플링 means "couple rings," and they are just rings that dating couples get to show their commitment to each other. I have not heard or seen it used in any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 커플링 is "couple ring" not "coupling." I C.

    ReplyDelete