Monday, December 17, 2018

Wow! Who is this guy?

ANSWER: I'm not sure, but his spoken Korean is amazing.

The guy's name is Dan, and he has a YouTube channel with a guy named Joel. Some of their videos are a little too silly for me, but I like the one below, which is more serious. However, judging from their 193,000 YouTube subscribers, I would say their videos are quite popular with many people. Tonight was the first time I had ever seen any of their videos, which apparently suggests I am out of touch.

One reason I think their videos are so popular is that they have both English and Korean subtitles. That's why I like them. Another reason is that their videos show them out and about in Korean society drawing all kinds of attention to themselves while also giving viewers a good firsthand look at Korean culture, using conversational Korean. And finally, many of their subscribers probably like them because they are just as amazed as I am at how fluently Dan speaks Korean. Joel seems to be more of a beginning/intermediate-level learner. Because Dan is so fluent in Korean and because both he and Joel interact with Koreans, watching their videos is a good way to learn conversational Korean, especially since their videos have subtitles.

In the video below, Dan says he came to Korea in 2012, which suggests that he has only been studying Korean for about six years. That really surprises me because he speaks Korean so smoothly. I can speak Korean, but my Korean intonation is not as smooth as Dan's seems to be. I might look through his videos to see if I can find one that explains how he learned to speak Korean so well. By the way, Dan does a good job in the following video of interviewing the Korean woman, who is interesting and seems quite intelligent and sincere.

For those who are interested in watching Dan and Joel make an impression on Koreans, good or bad, you can find their YouTube Channel HERE.



No comments:

Post a Comment