Sunday, May 30, 2021

What does 버즘나무 literally mean?

 ANSWER: scabby tree

In Korea, an "Old world sycamore" (Platanus orientalis), or Oriental plane, is called either 플라타너스 (Platanus) or 버즘나무, which literally means "scabby (버즘) tree (나무)." 버즘 is a provincial pronunciation of 버짐, which means "scabs" or "scabby." Why do Koreans call a sycamore tree "a scabby tree"? Because the bark of a sycamore looks similar to scabby flaky skin. 

To refer to an American sycamore, Koreans add 양, meaning "Western," to form the word 양버즘나무.

When I was in Korea, living in Incheon, there were big beautiful sycamore trees growing along the road near my apartment. I remember one day taking shelter under one of the trees during a sudden rain storm. The leaves of the tree were so broad and abundant that the tree provided good shelter from the rain. In fact, I was so impressed by the shelter of the tree that when I got back to my apartment I wrote the following poem:

"If I were a leaf," by Gerry Bevers

If I were a leaf, I'd want to be
One of a sprawling sycamore tree.
Then under my soulful, silent shade,
Young and old could drink pink lemonade.

Summer showers go splitter splatter,
but under me it would not matter.
My friends and I would be broad and green,
Stopping raindrops while staying clean.

From Dong-A's Prime Korean-English Dictionary

No comments:

Post a Comment