Friday, May 14, 2021

What does 저돌 literally mean?

 ANSWER: a wild boar charge

My Korean-English dictionary defines 저돌하다 as "rush recklessly," "make a reckless [wild] rush," or "make a headlong rush," but 저돌 literally means "a wild boar (저) charge (돌)."

Though my Korean-English dictionary shows 저돌 as a pure Korean word, it is actually a Sino-Korean word formed from the characters  (저), which means "pig" (돼지) or "wild boar" (멧돼지), and (돌), which means "to collide" (충돌 衝突) or "to charge" (돌진 突進).

The 저 () in 저돌 (豬突) is the same character used in 저육 (猪肉), the Sino-Korean word for "pork" (돼지고기). Some may wonder why the  (저) in 저육 (猪肉) uses the character for "dog" (犭/ 犬 견) in its composition instead of the character for "pig" (시 ). It is because (저) is a popular simplified form of (저).

By the way, when I try to type the Chinese characters for 저돌, I don't know why (치) appears in the composition of (저) instead of (시), but both forms represent the same character.

So, since 저돌 (豬突) is a Sino-Korean word instead of a pure Korean word, that means I have found another mistake in my Korean-English dictionary.

And at first, I thought I had also found a mistake in my Chinese character dictionary, which lists 豬水 (저수) as a word using the character (저), but "pig () water ()"?

The Sino-Korean word for "reservoir water" is 저수 (貯水), which literally means "saved or stored () water ()," not "pig () water ()." But my Chinese character dictionary says that (저) can also be used as a simplified form of  (저), which means "puddle" (웅덩이), so that means that 豬水 (저수) can also literally translate as "puddle () water ()."

From Dong-A's Prime Korean-English Dictionary

From Dong-A's Prime Korean-English Dicitionary

From 활용대옥편, Chinese Characters Dictionary

From Dong-A's Prime Korean-English Dictionary

From 활용대옥편, Chinese Characters Dictionary

No comments:

Post a Comment