Friday, January 07, 2022

What does 성상 (星霜) literally mean?

 ANSWER: star () frost ()

My Korean-English dictionary defines 성상 (星霜) as "years" or "time," but it literally means "star (星) frost (霜)." The Chinese definition for 星霜 (성상) is 比喩歲月 (비유세월), which can translate as "a metaphor (比喩) [for] time or years (歲月)."

The following is a kind of poem I wrote about getting older, in which I used the phrase "star frost."

"My Time in the Sun," by Gerry Bevers

My mind is getting cloudy,
My body is getting stiff,
My soul is filling with star frost.

Ambition is just memories,
Women are just people,
Life is just survival.

Watching children play,
Seeing young people in love,
My time in the sun is over.

 

From Dong-A's Prime Korean-English Dictionary

From 新編國語日報辭典

No comments:

Post a Comment