Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Is she going with the wind or against the wind?

ANSWER: I think both.

The first line of the song from the video below is as follows:
바람이 불어오는 곳, 그 곳으로 가네
From where the wind blows, I'm going that way.
바람이 불어오는 means the wind is blowing toward her, so when she says, "I'm going that way," she can only be referring to the direction from where the wind is coming. If she were going to go with the wind, shouldn't she have said instead, 바람이 불어가는 곳, 그 곳으로 가네? And why did she use the ending 네, which is an ending that suggests mild surprise? Did she suddenly found herself heading into the wind without knowing why?

Later in the song is the following line:
바람에 내 몸 맡기고, 그 곳으로 가네.
I have surrendered myself to the wind, and I'm going that way.
 바람에 내 몸을 맡기고 means I have surrendered my body to the wind, so that means she is no longer fighting the wind and is allowing it to take her where it will. Has she given up on something? Again, she uses the ending 네, which suggests she is surprised to find that she has surrendered herself to the wind.

Even though 가네 suggests that the woman had not planned to go in the direction she was headed, I suspect she used 가네 to sound softer and more helpless and confused. If she had used 간다 instead, she would have sounded too determined, too in control, and less girlishly soft.


No comments:

Post a Comment