Thursday, September 06, 2018

Which of these words is considered non-standard: 늘, 항상, 늘상?

Answer: 늘상

늘 is the pure Korean word for always, and 항상 (恒常) is the Sino-Korean word for always, and both appear in my dictionaries, but 늘상 does not appear in my dictionaries because it is considered a non-standard word.

늘상 is a combination of the pure Korean word 늘 (always) and the Chinese character 常 (상), which means always and is one of the characters in 항상 (恒常), the Sino-Korean word for always. In other words, 늘상 is redundant because it literally means always, always. Actually, 항상 (恒常) is also redundant because it also literally translates as always (恒), always (常), but the redundancy in 항상 (恒常) is necessary because if you were to say either 항 or 상 by itself in a sentence, Koreans would most likely not understand you. However, if you were to say 늘 in a sentence, Koreans would understand you, so adding 상 (常) to it is unnecessary. In fact, 늘 is the only one-syllable word in my dictionaries with the sound /늘/, so there is almost no way Koreans would confuse it with another word.

The reason I am writing about this is that I just saw 늘상 used in a book written by Ko Jong-seok (고종석), who is a former reporter, novelist, and linguist. The title of the book is 국어의 풍경들 (Views of the Korean Language), a very interesting book that talks about different aspects of the Korean language, including the redundancy of many Korean words and expressions. I just thought it was ironic that a Korean linguist like Mr. Ko Jong-seok would choose to use 늘상 instead of either 늘 or 항상 in a book about the Korean language. Actually, 늘상 should have been one of his examples in his article about redundancy in the Korean language.

Here is the sentence from the book:
그러나 이 언어들은 비록 독립된 언어와 방언의 경계가 늘상 또렷한 것은 아니지만, 프랑스어의 방언이 아니라 엄연히 독립된 언어들로 인정되고 있다.

2 comments:

  1. Can I just say that your blog is one of the best there is when it comes to blogs about the Korean language, and I learn so much from each one of your updates that it feels like my head is going to explode. As a philologist myself, I simply love the way you explain the meaning of each word and expression diachronically as well as etymologically. Please keep it up because it is of immense help in my quest of learning Korean fluently. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Alexandra. I appreciate the feedback. I am glad to hear that my posts are helping you in some way, but just know that even though I tend to write my posts in an authoritative style, I am not really an authority. I sometimes write that way to spur the real authorities to possibly challenge me and, thereby, teach me something. For example, I would love for someone to challenge me on the post just before this one, the one about 어 (於) in Korean addresses, because that post is really just my thinking out loud. As for this post about 늘상, I am pretty confident about want I wrote because I have read about it elsewhere.

      As the title of my blog says, my posts are basically just some of my Korean language notes that I think others might be interested in. If I write something you do not understand or something that seems a little strange to you, be sure to comment or ask a question. I love comments. Again, thank you for your comment.

      Delete