Sunday, October 21, 2018

Why is the poem 정야사 (靜夜思) so special?

ANSWER: I suspect it is because it is a relatively easy poem to read and understand.

In the video below, the man describes the poem 靜夜思 (정야사) by saying, "Basically, this is the first poem students learn when they begin to study classical Chinese." I suspect the reason for that is because the poem is written with simple characters and simple grammar and communicates a simple message: Homesickness.

Since the man in the video does such a good job of describing the grammar of the poem, I will just post the poem below with the Korean pronunciations of the characters. However, I will say that during the classical period, the character 是 (시) meant this or this is and was used to refer back to something previously stated. Also, I changed the character 舉 (거) to 擧 (거) because, though the two characters have the same meaning, 擧 is the more commonly used character in Korea. Finally, because each line in the poem is limited to only five characters, unnecessary characters with meanings such as at, I, and my are left out.


()()()
A Quiet () Night’s () Thought ()
()()()()()
In front of the bed (床前) [is] bright () moon () light ().
()()()()()
[I] suspect () this [is] () frost on the ground (地上霜).
()()()()()
[I] raise () [my] head () [and] gaze () [at] the bright () moon ().
()()()()()
[I] lower () [my] head () [and] think of () home (故鄕).

No comments:

Post a Comment