Wednesday, October 03, 2018

Are the intonations of the Busan dialect and British English similar?

ANSWER: Yes, according to the guy in the following video.

Once, when I flew from Busan to Japan, which I did not normally do, I remember two guys talking to each other on the plane in a language that I first thought was Japanese but gradually realized was Korean. I do not speak Japanese, but the intonation they were using sounded very much like that used by the Japanese, at least enough to make me first think it was Japanese.

I find the following video interesting because the intonation of the Busan dialect does sound somewhat similar to that of the few short British English examples that the guy in the video gives. In general, I do think that the high and low tones of the Busan dialect are much more pronounced than those used by Koreans in Seoul.


In the video below, the Korean guy from Busan also demonstrates how similar the intonation of Korea's Busan dialect is to that of the Japanese language.


No comments:

Post a Comment