Friday, September 11, 2009

Mind if I get off topic?

I have just looked at a Web site entitled "Smartest Detective in the Room," which belongs to one of our commenters, Lance Sleuthe, and was quite impressed. The only problem is that he does not seem to write very often.

Lance,

If you wrote the stuff on your blog, I think you should be writing much more of it because that is good stuff. Are you writing a book or have you already written one? If not, you should consider it. I am not literary, but it seems more than good enough to publish.

By the way, have you tried writing anything in Korean?

3 comments:

  1. Gerry,

    Thanks for your kind words about my blog. It is true that I haven't written many entries, especially recently. Since it is just for fun, I only do it when the mood strikes me. I am not a writer, and haven't thought about trying to get published. Mostly it's just a hobby.

    My Korean is not nearly good enough for writing anything other than brief emails! It would make me happy if some day my Korean were at the level where I could write short essays or stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lance,

    You may not write professionally, but you are a writer and should think about getting published.

    I have an idea for a Korean short story, but my dialog would be so awkward and stilted that it would not even be funny. I cannot even write good dialog in English, which is why I was so impressed with what you wrote. You write great dialog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gerry,

    You should give it a try. A surprising number of writers have been successful working in second languages. Perhaps you could share your draft with a Korean speaker you trust, who could help you revise your work without significantly changing it. It would be an excellent learning experience, and perhaps the first step in an improving ability to write in Korean.

    ReplyDelete