Friday, February 18, 2022

What does 行動電話 (행동전화) literally mean?

 ANSWER: Action (行動) phone (電話) or mobile phone

I have read that cell phones in Taiwan are called 行動電話 (행동전화), which can literally translate as "action (行動) phones (電話)," or, I guess, "mobile phones." I have also read that 大哥大 (대가대) is a commonly used word (俗稱 속칭) for cell phones in China even though it supposedly refers to the old, bulky, brick-style phones of the 1980s.

I am not sure why they called the old cell phones from the 1980s 大哥大 (대가대) since 哥 (가) means "elder brother" and 大哥 (대가) means "eldest brother." It seems a little strange. The video below might explain the origin of the word, but I don't have time tonight to search for it since I have to work tomorrow.

UPDATE: Last night I posted my question about the origin of the word 大哥大 on Qoura HERE and by this morning I had gotten the following response from someone named Twaryguy:

It originated from Hong Kong movies in the 80s. It's not to refer to any kind of handphone but the old kind that looks like a brick.

In the movie it's always used by the Boss of the gangster. So 大哥大电话 means big boss phone easily understood because people watch movie and see it used by the gangster boss. Gradually it become more convenient to call it 大哥大 shorten version。

So, it seems that besides meaning "eldest brother," 大哥 (대가) can also be used to refer to the "big boss" of a gang of gangsters. And the 大 (대) at the end of 大哥大 (대가대) is just the abbreviated form of 大電話 (대전화), which means "big (大) phone (電話)." That means that 大哥大 (대가대) originally meant "the big phone of the big boss."

One commenter also mentioned HERE that the name of her phone carrier in Taiwan (臺灣 대만), I assume, was 大哥大 (대가대).


No comments:

Post a Comment