Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Are the videos below a good introduction to Chinese grammar?

ANSWER: Yes, they are a great introduction, especially since they are using traditional Chinese characters instead of the simplified characters.

I love these videos because I have just learned all this grammar and vocabulary in the past couple of weeks from a grammar book I have been reading. As I was watching these videos, I was saying to myself, "I know that. I know that. I know that, too." I just don't know the Chinese pronunciations.

These guys really do a great job of teaching the grammar, which is not very hard to learn. Even though they did say that "measure words" were somewhat confusing, "measure words" are not really that hard for people who speak Korean since Korean also uses measure words. For example, 권 is a measure word, as in the phrase 책 한 권, "one book."

By the way, the Chinese phrase for "Grammar Guide" is 語法指南 (어법지남), where 語法 (어법) means "grammar" and 指南 (지남) means "guidebook" or "to guide." What 指南 (지남) literally means is "to point (指) south (南)," which is something you might do if you were "guiding" someone somewhere. The word 지남 (指南) is even in my Korean-English dictionary.

But I wonder why the phrase is "point (指) south (南)" instead of "point (指) north (北)" or some other direction? In the United States, for example, we think of a compass needle as pointing north, not south.

From Dong-A's Prime Korean-English Dictionary


No comments:

Post a Comment