Wednesday, July 11, 2018

A 3-inch nose?

The following is an old Korean proverb:
 "My nose is three inches" (내 코 석 자다).
Of course, the proverb means, "I'm too busy dealing with my own situation to have time to deal with those of others."

What? You don't get it? Well, maybe it would help if you read the 4-character Chinese version:
吾鼻三尺 (오비삼척) 
My (吾) nose (鼻) [is] three (三) inches (尺).
What? Still don't get it? Well, maybe it would help if you read the 6-character Chinese version:
吾鼻涕垂三尺 (오비체수삼척) 
My (吾) nose (鼻) tears (涕) are hanging down (垂) three (三) inches (尺).

What? Still don't get it? Well, maybe this will help: "Nose tears" means "snot."


If you still don't get it, then I suspect you have never been so busy that you did not even have time to wipe away the snot hanging down from your nose.

By the way, there is a reason I decided against using a picture to illustrate the meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment