Saturday, August 29, 2009

Aren't there worse places?

Today I visited a blog entitled "Caveat DVMPTRVCK" and came across the following video clips. It seems the blogger has been working in Korea as an English teacher and has recently bought a video camera. Anyway, while watching the first video, which is just a video of the blogger travelling from his apartment to the Kyobo Bookstore in Gangnam, I realized, again, just how nice it is to live in a big city in Korea. Korean cities are very safe and generally clean.

If I had to live in a large city and I could choose among all the large cities in the world, I think I would choose Seoul. Being able to walk the streets safely at any time of day or night is a big plus for me.



I also liked the following video. I think it is an example of why it can be fun teaching English in Korea. Apparently, the girls are some of the blogger's students.



The following video is of a boy named Peter, alias "Skywalker." I think this video is another example of how teaching English in Korea can be a fun job.

2 comments:

  1. I just wanted to say thank you for linking to my blog in this post - I feel flattered and pleased by your observations.

    For at least 2 years, I have had your blog in my "list of useful places" that I use when I'm searching for answers to some abstruse Korean grammatical question. Despite this, I have to confess that I rarely visit your blog, for a rather selfish reason: I find it so discouraging to my own efforts to learn Korean, because when I look at your posts, I realize just how much about the Korean language I still have to master, and how insubstantial my own progress feels, especially given the time I've spent here.

    But regardless, I really like to see that there are other non-Koreans who have fallen in love with the language, specifically. It's possible to meet many non-Koreans who love the country and/or the people, but very few who have what might be called an aesthetic yet linguistically sophisticated appreciation of the language, specifically. I like the country and its people well enough, but it's the language that has me hooked, at this point. Hopefully someday I will reach a point where I could begin confidently to write even something as simple as this comment, in Korean.

    ~CAVEAT DVMPTRVCK (aka Jared)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, Jared, but I have just found your very kind comment, more than 6 years after you wrote it. I just wanted to say "thank you" and wish you the best of luck. Hopefully, you have stayed with Korean over the past 6 years and are much more fluent.

      Delete