Thursday, December 09, 2021

What does 문장 (文章) mean besides "sentence"?

 ANSWER: an essay or an article

My Korean-English dictionary shows that the first definition for 문장 (文章) is "a writing," "a composition," "an article," or "an essay," but I normally associate 문장 with "sentence," 기사 (記事) with "article," and "수필 (隨筆) with "essay," so I wonder why "an article" or "an essay" is listed as the first definition for 문장 in my dictionary? I don't think I have ever heard or seen Koreans use 문장 to mean "article" or "essay." Can anyone point to an example where Koreans have used 문장 to mean "article" or "essay"?

The Chinese, however, do seem to use 文章 (문장) to mean "article" or "essay," which made me wonder what word the Chinese use to mean "sentence" since they do not appear to use 文章 (문장) with that definition. From what I have found, the Chinese word for "sentence" seems to be 句子 (구자), a word that Koreans do not seem to use, and a word that literally means "a phrase (句) child (子)" or "a child of phrases."

From Dong-A's Prime Korean-English Dictionary

No comments:

Post a Comment