Friday, January 15, 2021

What does 팔불출 (八不출) literally mean?

 ANSWER: The Eight (八) Not's or Negations (不) appear or come out (出)?

My Korean-English dictionary defines 팔불출 (八不出) as "a dull or stupid fellow" or "a fool," but could it mean "unenlightened," instead?

From Dong-A's Prime Korean-English Dictionary

Koreans seem to use the expression mainly to refer to people who constantly brag about their family members, especially their children, which would get "dull" after a while, I guess. But besides family members, the expression can also be used to refer to people who constantly brag about other things, such as how great their country is, as the following video shows:

 

But what are the "Eight Not's" (八不) referred to in the expression? I have read HERE that they are the "Eight Negation" aspects or conditions Buddhists need to find "The Middle Way," which is the pathway to enlightenment.

I am not a Buddhist, so I know very little about Buddhism, but from what I understand, Buddhists strive to detach themselves from the world, including family, in their search for enlightenment. If a Buddhist were to brag about his or her family, that would suggest attachment, which would also suggest that the person is still unenlightened, and that could be considered ignorant or stupid, I guess.   

Anyway, here are the "Eight Not" (팔불 八불) conditions Buddhists need to find the Middle Way, which is to be on the pathway to Enlightenment.. They are listed in pairs, so four pairs:

  1. Not destroying (불멸 不滅) nor creating (불생 不生)
  2. Not ending (불단 不斷) nor everlasting (불상 不常).
  3. Not the same (불일 不一) nor different (불이 不異).
  4. Not coming (불래 不來) nor going (불거 不去).
So, if one or more of the above "Eight (팔 八) Not's (불 不)," which are not supposed to happen, were to happen or appear (출 出), then that would suggest that one is unenlightened, and that would suggest ignorance, I guess. 

Remember! I am not a Buddhist, nor do I know much about Buddhism, so take almost everything I wrote above with a big grain of salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment