Sunday, February 16, 2020

Why do guys always seem to be the ones late for dates?

ANSWER: Maybe to give the girls more time to think about them. Waiting to meet a boyfriend or girlfriend at a bus stop seems to be a pretty common practice in Korea. Waiting for her boyfriend at a bus stop, the girl in this song kills the time by doing some people watching and thinking about the boy she will soon meet. I like this song, but I am not sure if I like the lyrics, or maybe I just do not understand them well enough. Maybe I would understand them better if I were a girl. "버스를 기다리는 사람들," by HAIL (헤일 "People Waiting for a Bus" 이제 곧 널 만나는 시간 It's almost time to meet you.
이마엔 땀 송글 맺히고 Beads of sweat form on my forehead.
해는 아직 놀고 싶은지  Maybe the sun, still wanting to play,
일찍 날 불렀어 called me out early.

때마침 너에게 문자가 As if on cue, I receive your text:
아이고 어쩌지 반대로 탄 것 같아 "Oh no! I seem to have accidently taken the wrong bus." 멍청이 그래도 괜찮아 "You dummy! But it's okay."
여긴 꽤나 즐거워 "It's quite amusing here."

할머니 품에 안긴 아기 A baby held by its grandmother
날 보며 방긋거리고 keeps looking at me and smiling.
무거운 장바구니를 든 어머니 A mother holding a heavy shopping basket,
청소시간에 벌어진 일들을 Cleaning people cleaning,"
재잘대는 저 소녀들 Young girls chattering over there.

버스정류장이라는 It's called a Bus Stop,
마을엔 사람들이 살죠 a small village of people.
사랑을 기다리는 Waiting for love,

멀리 그 사랑을 발견하면 that faraway love, when discovered,
언제 기다렸단 듯 will be like having never waited.
함박웃음을 With a big smile,

한 번 더 너에게 문자를 I send you another text,
어디쯤이니 내일쯤 도착하니 "Where about are you? Will you arrive tomorrow?"
아니야 거의 다 왔는걸 "No, I'm almost there."
백을 세고 있어줘 "Start counting to a hundred."
할머니 품에 안긴 아기 A baby held by its grandmother
날 보며 방긋거리고 keeps looking at me and smiling.
무거운 장바구니를 든 어머니 A mother holding a heavy shopping basket.
만난지 얼마 안된 저 연인은 That love only recently met
우리 같네 참 예뻐 is like us: Quite lovely.

차분한 하늘 아래서 Under a calm sky,
천천히 널 생각하면서 I ponder you.
사랑을 기다리는 이들과 함께 With these people I wait for love,
널 기다려 I wait for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment